Getting Data In

Hi I'm trying to get the logs in the indexing time but some reason it still indexing the file was created.

skuma30

I did some changes in the props.conf adding a stanza for time stamps
[mysourcetype]
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT

But it still showing me the older time stamps. Please help to fix this issue.

Sathish

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Where is your props.conf located? It should be on the server that is parsing the data, as Splunk sets the timestamp in the parsing phase. If you are using a Universal Forwarder to collect the data, then the props.conf belongs on the indexer. And yes, you will need to restart Splunk for changes to props.conf to take effect.

Second, if you use DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT, all the events in the file should be indexed using the current date and time - any timestamp in the file will be ignored. If that is not what you want, then you should look at @jkat54's advice. And a little sample data would be helpful.

Finally, are you sure that your data has the sourcetype "mysourcetype"?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Where is your props.conf located? It should be on the server that is parsing the data, as Splunk sets the timestamp in the parsing phase. If you are using a Universal Forwarder to collect the data, then the props.conf belongs on the indexer. And yes, you will need to restart Splunk for changes to props.conf to take effect.

Second, if you use DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT, all the events in the file should be indexed using the current date and time - any timestamp in the file will be ignored. If that is not what you want, then you should look at @jkat54's advice. And a little sample data would be helpful.

Finally, are you sure that your data has the sourcetype "mysourcetype"?

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

don't specify DATETIME_CONFIG and instead specify TIME_PREFIX, MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD, and TIME_FORMAT.

Can you share sample data?

skuma30

Well thanks for the reply guys I tried both the settings but TIme_PREFIX,MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD is working thanks for the replys once again and thanks jkat54.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Did you make this change in props.conf on Indexer/Heavy forwarder? Did you restart your Splunk instance after making the change? Please note that this will only apply to any future event that will come to Splunk. Any event that has already indexed will not get updated.

skuma30

Somesoni2:- yes I tried that but still seeing old dates. And deleted indexed logs and cleared fishbucket but still indexing time is not working.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

How are you ingesting the data, using a forwarder (universal forwarder??) or from Splunk Web UI?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...