Getting Data In

Help configuring Universal Forwarder with IIS logs

adrianp
Path Finder

I tried going through the documentation, but haven't been able to get much working with the exception of syslog messages from my firewall.

On the web server where I installed the Universal Forwarder, I created 2 files in etc\system\local

I used bits and pieces of information that I found in various answers here.

inputs.conf

[monitor://D:\Logs\inetpub\*\*.log]
disabled = false
followtail = 0
sourcetype=iis
ignoreOlderThan = 14d

outputs.conf

[tcpout-server://myserverip:9000]

On my server I added a TCP data input on port 9000

0 Karma
1 Solution

lukejadamec
Super Champion

The outputs.conf should have been created when you installed the forwarder, and it will be located in splunk\etc\system\local\outputs.conf It should contain a tcpout:default and/or a tcpout-server://ip:port.

Try adding a _TCP_ROUTING attribute to your inputs.conf monitor stanza, the value should be your indexing server name:

Inputs.conf

_TCP_ROUTING = indexingservername
    disabled = false
    followtail = 0
    sourcetype=iis
    ignoreOlderThan = 14d

Outputs.conf

[tcpout]
defaultGroup=indexingservername

[tcpout:indexingservername]
server=ipaddress:port of indexing server

View solution in original post

mccurity
Explorer

Check your monitor path. I believe it should be D:\inetpub\Logs......

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

The outputs.conf should have been created when you installed the forwarder, and it will be located in splunk\etc\system\local\outputs.conf It should contain a tcpout:default and/or a tcpout-server://ip:port.

Try adding a _TCP_ROUTING attribute to your inputs.conf monitor stanza, the value should be your indexing server name:

Inputs.conf

_TCP_ROUTING = indexingservername
    disabled = false
    followtail = 0
    sourcetype=iis
    ignoreOlderThan = 14d

Outputs.conf

[tcpout]
defaultGroup=indexingservername

[tcpout:indexingservername]
server=ipaddress:port of indexing server

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Roger that. First step is to get the header line from the top of the iis log file. You'll need that to tell splunk what the field names are and what to use as a delimiter.

0 Karma

adrianp
Path Finder

Sigh, apparently I missed the part in the documentation where it went over the configuration steps on the receiver. As soon as I did that I started receiving the events. I followed your recommendation and removed the TCP input on port 9000. I have the forwarder and receiver configured to use the default port 9997. Thank you so much! Next I get to work with IIS advanced logging hehe, but this is a good start!

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

What is the default tcp port for inputs on the indexer?
You should not have to create a special input port for the iis logs.
Also, iis logs are typically not configured with the default iis sourcetype because it does not handle headers well. You will probably want to create a custom sourcetype and configuration in your props.conf and transforms.conf. There are many examples in this forum, but if you want specific help then post the header line that shows the fields.
Lastly, universal forwarders should not be sending cooked data, are you sure you installed a universal forwarder?

0 Karma

adrianp
Path Finder

There is no line [splunktcp:port] in my inputs.conf

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

In your splunk\etc\system\local\inputs.conf what is the [splunktcp:port] port number?

0 Karma

adrianp
Path Finder

Also, I see the following WARN in the logs:
TcpOutputProc - Cooked connection to ip=myserverip:9000 timed out

In the Splunk server, I have an TCP input configured on port 9000 set to Source type = iis

0 Karma

adrianp
Path Finder

Anyways, after restarting the forwarder, it seems to have sent 4 messages, but it looks like garbage.

--splunk-cooked-mode-v3--\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00

and it's definitely not the data from my IIS logs.

0 Karma

adrianp
Path Finder

I reinstalled it and now it created the inputs.conf and output.confs. The inputs.conf has the following

[default]
host = MYSERVER

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-wmi.path]
disabled = 0

I added the log monitor lines from before.

The output.conf now looks like this:

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]
server = myserverip:9000

[tcpout-server://myserverip:9000]

I don't really understand the configuration as it looks redundant.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

It happens, I updated the answer to make it more clear.
Both inputs and outputs need to be on the forwarder.

0 Karma

adrianp
Path Finder

Now you are confusing me even more than I already am hehe. I thought configuration settings for where the data goes was done in outputs.conf, yet your recommendation was to add a setting in inputs.conf for the server?

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

You can use the name of the indexer, or it's IP address.
The indexing server is the server with the main Splunk instance - the forwarder sends logs to the indexing server.
You can also use the IP address of the indexing server.

0 Karma

adrianp
Path Finder

I had to create the input.conf and output.conf files manually. They were not there. I do not understand what you mean by indexing server name.

0 Karma

adrianp
Path Finder

Yes, I restarted it.

I see the following:
LightWeightForwarder/UniversalForwarder not configured. Please configure outputs.conf.

So I guess my outputs.conf is wrong? Again I put that together from another post/article.

If that is incorrect, what should it look like?

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Did you restart the forwarder?
Are there any errors in the splunkd.log found in splunk\var\log\splunk\

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...