Getting Data In

HTTP Event collector Log ingestion

ram254481493
Explorer

Hi , I am trying to configure HTTP event collector for log ingestion i have few questions ?

I am hosting HEC on my HF .
A user is running application on a application which is on Linux VM and the logs are in JSON format.

Can i just create a HEC token and give it to them for deploying it on their code ?

Or do i need to open Firewall connection to their server and my HF ?

What port the user need to open the firewall Is it servername:8088 port ?

If i need to open firewall port is it enough to open for only HF or indexers too ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jarizeloyola
Path Finder

You can give them the HEC token you will generate from the HF and make sure HEC/HEC Token is enabled, it is also good if you can provide them the index name and sourcetype they will use. You need to make sure they can talk to your HF and allow port 8088 (default port).You dont need to enable port 8088 on indexers since your HEC receiver is the HF and it will forward the data to the indexers with listening port 9997(default port).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jarizeloyola
Path Finder

You can give them the HEC token you will generate from the HF and make sure HEC/HEC Token is enabled, it is also good if you can provide them the index name and sourcetype they will use. You need to make sure they can talk to your HF and allow port 8088 (default port).You dont need to enable port 8088 on indexers since your HEC receiver is the HF and it will forward the data to the indexers with listening port 9997(default port).

0 Karma

ram254481493
Explorer

Sure so if they cant talk to my HF over port 8088 means they need to open firewall connectivity right ?

0 Karma

webesplunkin4
Observer

An answer to this question would actually be fantastic.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...