Getting Data In

HTTP Event Collector batch post and HTTP errors

yotamcp
Engager

Hi,

I've started using HEC to push data to my Splunk Enterprise instance and noticed the errors I get.

For example, sending this:

{"aa": "hello world"}

Results in:

{
  "text": "No data",
  "code": 5
}

However, when sending events in batches, I will only get this error if the first event I send is problematic:

{"event": "hello world"}
{"aa": "hello world"}

Results in:

{
  "text": "Success",
  "code": 0
}

Because I need to know that all my events were sent successfully (and "acks" are not an option, considering I send data to Splunk Cloud as well), is there anything I can do (other than sending each event by itself)?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yotamcp 

You must be using /services/collector HEC endpoint. event: <your data> is the format when you send data to collector endpoint and only if it is JSON. In your first example there was no event:<> format hence splunk HEC ignored it in second example you have followed the format.

if you wanted to send raw data like any non JSON use /services/raw/ HEC endpoint. You can send multiple events together in a batch. All combination of examples exist here,

Use cURL to manage HTTP Event Collector tokens, events, and services - Splunk Documentation

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.0/Data/HECExamples

---

An upvote would be appreciated and accept solution if it helps!

Tags (4)
0 Karma

yotamcp
Engager

I understand all that.

What I was trying to explain was that in a batch, I can send data like this, and get a "Success" message:

{ ... correct format ... }
{ ... inccorrect format ... }

Or I can send data like this and get an error:

{ ... inccorrect format ... }

What I wanted to know, is if there is a way to send batch data, and fail the entire bulk on a single incorrect event (atomically). 

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...