Getting Data In

HEC Configuration Certificate required?

agallegos
Engager

We have a commercial appliance that requires a HEC configuration in Splunk to ingest data.  I have configuration the TA and App and the HEC configuration on the search head.  But I get no data being ingested.   I was told that it requires a valid certificate on the search head in order for this to work.  Is this true?  In the HEC configuration there is a check box for not using SSL.  I've also have run the curl -k command with success using the generated token. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

LB is a load balancer. It could be a hardware based e.g. F5 or software based like AWS NLB or ALB.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

it depends on client if it can use self signed certificates or work without ssl. If valid cert is required you have basically two options to manage it.

1. Buy it and start to use it in all splunk nodes
  2. Use LB before HEC and install valid cert there and then you forward traffic with or without ssl to real hec nodes
  3. If appliance support additional CAs then add your own there with possible needed intermediate certificates 

Probably the 2nd one is the easiest and quickest solution for you?

r. Ismo

0 Karma

agallegos
Engager

Thanks for the information.   What is LB?  

Tags (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

LB is a load balancer. It could be a hardware based e.g. F5 or software based like AWS NLB or ALB.

0 Karma

agallegos
Engager

Thanks for the solution.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...