Getting Data In

HEC Basic Authentication

kpwaterson
Explorer

I am attempting to use an HEC with basic authentication via HTTPS, but receiving a response 403 "Forbidden" when using the authorization header as Base64 encoded username:password pair. 

The username:HEC token works as is hinted in the documentation, so my question is whether there is any way to use a user's password for authentication, or a session key from a login request, when posting data to an HEC.  

If not, are there any endpoints that will return a response on an HTTP request?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Based on the documentation showing authentication only using a HEC token, I infer it is not possible to use a username and password to authenticate.  One must use a token.

Consider submitting feedback on the documentation if you would like that clarified.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You must provide the token in order for HEC to work (you can many different inputs at the same API endpoint distinguished by unique token), so the token is necessary. Maybe (I haven't tested) you can _also_ provide basic auth but it seems pointless.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Based on the documentation showing authentication only using a HEC token, I infer it is not possible to use a username and password to authenticate.  One must use a token.

Consider submitting feedback on the documentation if you would like that clarified.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...