Getting Data In

Getting Splunk to work with Syslog UDP 514

fletch13
Explorer

I've been reading and trying to figure this out. But i'm stomped.

I configured a device to send syslog events to the splunk server via udp:514
i can see the traffic (on splunk server)with tcpdump port 514. I've tested this by trigger an event on the device and seeing the event on the splunk server (via tcpdump.

./splunk list udp cli shows 514
I've tailed "metics.log" and i do not see the related syslog event getting there.

Looks like everything is good. but nothing in searches or indexes..
running splunk ver 6.

Tags (1)

mcronkrite
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Redirects 514 to 5514 in this example.

Poke hole in iptables to allow web-configuration and the listener ports

Redirect for port 515 up to 5514 which we are listening on (be sure to "service iptables save" after modifying iptables, or modify etc/sysconfig/iptables directly)

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 8000 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 5514 -j ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d MY.IP -p tcp -m tcp --dport 514 -j DNAT --to-destination MY.IP:5514

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d MY.IP -p udp -m udp --dport 514 -j DNAT --to-destination MY.IP:5514

fletch13
Explorer

Not sure but it works now. Could have been just going over steps needs to make this work.
thanks

1. configured iptables to take udp 514
  2. restarting iptables
  3. adding data input udp 514

BTW: i still don't see syslog "port 514" activity in the metrics.log but it works.

0 Karma

fletch13
Explorer

yes. Splunk has been configured to listen to udp 514

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

Dwaddle nailed it, but I'd also check to see if another process, like syslog or syslog-ng, is already using UDP 514.

lsof -i :514

twinspop
Influencer

Did you restart Splunk after? It won't dynamically re-try the port. A restart will be needed.

0 Karma

fletch13
Explorer

i did have rsyslog running. i kill it and still not seeing my udp traffic in the metrics.log

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Disable your firewall. And/or add rules to allow UDP/514.

Using tcpdump is a great test, but it is misleading with UDP packets. The libpcap libraries sit in the network stack below iptables. So it is entirely possible that you will see a packet arrive with tcpdump and it will be dropped by iptables before it makes it to the process. And because it's UDP there is no broken session setup to observe.

fletch13
Explorer

okay. i double checked and iptables files is configured to accept port 514. plus restarted iptables.
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 514 -j ACCEPT

lukejadamec
Super Champion

How have you configured Splunk to listen on that port?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...