Getting Data In

Getting Data into iseries app

jarjoh42
Path Finder

I have multiple feeds coming into UDP:514, from this input I have ASA, ESA, and as400 data coming in. I have recently installed the iseries app and am having trouble getting data into it. The data coming from UDP:514 all goes to sourcetype= syslog using this stanza in the global settings

ect\system\inputs.conf

[udp://514]
connection_host = ip
index = index_syslog
sourcetype = syslog

in the iseries apps local i want to split out the data that comes from the as400 by changing the sourcetype to [as400]. to do this I attempted to use the stanza in file

etc\apps\iseries\local\inputs.conf

[as400]
search = sourcetype= syslog
disabled = 0

but it did not work. So my question is how do I extract just the as400 data out of my UDP:514 input and change the sourcetype so that the data will flow into the iseries app properly.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

I can well believe that your inputs.conf did not work, as the syntax is not at all what Splunk expects.

You will need to use the props.conf and transforms.conf files to override the sourcetype setting on events arriving from the network port. There is a good example in the documentation on how to override default host assignments. You can use this same idea to reset the sourcetype. Your props.conf and transforms.conf might look like this:

props.conf

[syslog]
TRANSFORMS-syslog1=reset-sourcetype

transforms.conf

[reset-sourcetype]
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Host
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
REGEX = (?i)as400
FORMAT = sourcetype::as400

This assumes that your host is being set properly. If it doesn't work, post back - there is another way to do this as well.

lguinn2
Legend

I don't know what you mean by "source type being assigned correctly at etc/system level" - it would be helpful if you could show the relevant config file snippets..

0 Karma

jarjoh42
Path Finder

I now have the data sorted by host and the as400 sourcetype is being assigned correctly at the ect system level. My problem is now that the app is not seeing the as400 sourcetype and accepting the data. within the app i have tried different configuration with non of them working.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...