Getting Data In

Generating dashboard pdf report

ac89live
Explorer

Hi

I'm new to the splunk community

I was trying to generate PDF report from the dashboard: Export > Schedule PDF delivery > Send Test Email

I got the following error on my email after almost hour of processing: An error occurred while generating the PDF. Please see python.log for details

Log shows:

2020-10-07 21:49:44,499 +0300 INFO	sendemail:1163 - sendemail pdfgen_available = 1
2020-10-07 21:49:44,499 +0300 INFO	sendemail:1309 - sendemail:mail effectiveTime=None
2020-10-07 22:49:44,522 +0300 ERROR	__init__:522 - Socket error communicating with splunkd (error=('The read operation timed out',)), path = /services/pdfgen/render
2020-10-07 22:49:44,523 +0300 ERROR	sendemail:1170 - An error occurred while generating a PDF: Failed to fetch PDF (SplunkdConnectionException): Splunkd daemon is not responding: ("Error connecting to /services/pdfgen/render: ('The read operation timed out',)",)
2020-10-07 22:49:44,523 +0300 INFO	sendemail:1189 - buildAttachments: not attaching csv as there are no results
2020-10-07 22:49:44,957 +0300 INFO	sendemail:140 - Sending email. subject="Splunk Dashboard: 'Traffic Dashboard PDF - 7 Days'", results_link="None", recipients="[u'my@email.com']", server="192.168.8.10"

And when I clicked on preview PDF in the same page where was the Send Test Email I got the following error after it was processing for almost an hour:

Unable to render PDF.

• Exception raised while trying to prepare "Traffic Dashboard PDF - 7 Days" for rendering to PDF. [HTTP 401] Client is not authenticated
  • Exception raised while trying to prepare "Traffic Dashboard PDF - 7 Days" for rendering to PDF. [HTTP 401] Client is not authenticated

We have deployed Splunk with 8(4x2)CPU and 16GB memory. And I noticed whenever I generate pdf or search something the CPU goes to 100%...

Is this the problem ? And why Splunk consuming so much CPU ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ac89live may we know if recently upgraded?

this thread got some more details.. pls check it once:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Deployment-Architecture/Why-am-I-getting-quot-Socket-error-communica...

0 Karma

ac89live
Explorer

This is new deployment.

Here is what I also did:

--- Moved from SAS to SSD

--- Upgraded CPU to 16

--- Restart to the server

Now CPU usage is 80% when generating PDF , but still not PDF is generated ...

Regarding the article, where can do the "splunk reload deploy-server -timeout  200" ?

This is IIS Server 2016

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...