Getting Data In

Forwarding Logs

Aw123

Hi! I have successfully installed a Splunk forwarder on the EC2 instance which my Python application is living. How do I tell the application what to send to the forwarder. Is there some sort of sys logging that I need to do, will the forwarder pick up all application output (prints, debugs, etc.) or how does that work?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

rupkumar4sec
Path Finder

If your application stores logs in a physical location on your EC2 instance you can simply monitor that file/directory. 

[monitor:<filepath>]
sourcetype = <sourcetype>
index = <index>
host =

add any other setting you need.  Check below document for your reference
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.0/Admin/Inputsconf#inputs.conf.spec 

0 Karma

Aw123

Thanks for replying. Currently these logs are forwarding to Splunk cloud, I more or else am confused on how to dictate what exactly is forwarded!

0 Karma

rupkumar4sec
Path Finder

you should be able get that information from using btool command

./splunk btool inputs list --debug

run this command from $SPLUNK_HOME$/bin

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...