Getting Data In

Forwarder stopped forwarding after restart of server

johnsmithman2

I am using the VMware Syslog collector to collect the logs from my ESXi hosts and send them to Splunk with the universal forwarder. Everything was working great until I restarted the server with the Syslog collector and the universal forwarder today. The logs are no longer being forwarded or Splunk is not indexing the received messages, what could cause this?

I know it is not a problem with the VMware Syslog collector because the service is running fine and the logs are being updated from the ESXi hosts.

Any ideas on what causes this after a restart?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

idsiano
Explorer

In this thread it was explained that is a VMWare issue

0 Karma

kreszan
Explorer

I have similar issue @ 6.0. Any resolution to this ?

0 Karma

mrflibbleuk

Did you get any resolution to this one? I have had a similar issue, when I restarted the main Splunk server the Heavy forwarders seem to be unable to communicate to the server. Looking at the forwarder event logs I am getting an 'eventType=connect_fail' everytime it attempts to connect.

Sometimes restarting the splunk forwarder makes it psring back into life.

0 Karma

johnsmithman2

Yes it is, I should have mentioned that also.

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

Have you verified that the universal forwarder is also still running?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...