Getting Data In

Forwarder Output Compression Ratio- what is the expected bandwidth saving of a compressed stream if i activate it?

Matthias_BY
Communicator

Hello,

i can activate compression on the universal forwarder to the indexer. as i understand from the documentation and some answers entries the compression is different between ssl encryption and not.

compressed = [true|false]
* Applies to non-SSL forwarding only. For SSL useClientSSLCompression setting is used.
* If true, forwarder sends compressed data.
* If set to true, the receiver port must also have compression turned on (in its inputs.conf file).
* Defaults to false.

my question: what is the expected bandwidth saving of a compressed stream if i activate it? (useClientSSLCompression and non encrypted?

is it 1:10?

br
matthias

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What @bwooden and @Dimitri McKay is all true. Also, here are some rough numbers for compression ratio based on internal testing.

1. Universal forwarder / uncooked data

• no compression 1:1
    • "native" compression 1:8
    • SSL compression 1:14
  2. Regular forwarder / cooked data

• "native" compression 1:2
    • SSL compression 1:8

View solution in original post

Matthias_BY
Communicator

thanks a lot for all your valuable feedback. Hexx received the points with clear numbers - of course depending on the content within a log it may vary a little bit - but if it is going over wan it's definitely worth to enable compression and even better SSL compression. 😉

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What @bwooden and @Dimitri McKay is all true. Also, here are some rough numbers for compression ratio based on internal testing.

1. Universal forwarder / uncooked data

• "native" compression 1:8
    • SSL compression 1:14
  2. Regular forwarder / cooked data

• "native" compression 1:2
    • SSL compression 1:8

adobrzeniecki_s
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey Hexx, is there a specific doc that shows these compression ratios? This information is fantastic! Would also like a link to the docs page if you have one. Thank you so much.

0 Karma

andygerber
Path Finder

This is an old post, but as far as I can see still accurate.

Testing from an HF (azure data) to an indexer cluster, turning on SSL resulted in a 1:8 compression for very short (~65Byte) events.

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Compression is achieved via zlib. Per Dimitri's answer, compression is variable based on content.

Additional information may be found here: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/63384/what-kind-of-compression-is-used-between-forwarders-and-...

Dimitri_McKay
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That would be contingent upon the repetition and amount of empty space in the data to be compressed.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...