Getting Data In

How to resole this: FormatMessage was unable to decode error (193), (0xc1)?

venkateshparank
Path Finder

10-07-2019 13:33:23.696 -0700 ERROR ExecProcessor - Couldn't start command ""C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\test\bin\abc.ps1"": FormatMessage was unable to decode error (193), (0xc1)

Labels (1)
0 Karma

whrg
Motivator

I just had the same error message:

04-20-2021 10:31:06.770 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - Couldn't start command ""C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\myapp\bin\myscript.ps1"": FormatMessage was unable to decode error (193), (0xc1)

I had a deployment app which consisted of a ps1 file and this inputs.conf:

[script://.\bin\myscript.ps1]
index = myindex
schedule = */15 * * * *
crcSalt = <SOURCE>

I could not find out why this error message appeared.

However, I found this article: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/MonitorWindowsdatawithPowerShellscripts

I removed the ps1 file and created this inputs.conf instead:

[powershell://MyPSInput01]
index = myindex
script = Get-ADDomainController -Filter * | Select-Object -Property Domain,Name,HostName,IPv4Address,OperatingSystem,Enabled
schedule = */15 * * * *
crcSalt = <SOURCE>

This solved my issue.

I don't know if this works for more complex scripts than my one-liner.

Using the powershell input works surprisingly well: Before that I used "ConvertTo-Csv" as part of the PowerShell command to convert the PowerShell output to CSV before indexing. Using the powershell input, I do not need to specify the sourcetype and Splunk handles the log format automatically.

0 Karma

rivium_ro_mc
Explorer

For convenience, building on top of the previous response regarding the one-liner:

The following is an example from the Monitor Windows data with PowerShell scripts - Splunk Documentation which allows for a multiline script using the [powershell] rather than [script] stanza

[powershell://MSExchange_Health]
    script=. $SplunkHome/etc/apps/TA-Exchange-2010/powershell/health.ps1

Testing this at the moment with a custom PS script but doesn't fill me with supreme confidence when the official example references TA-Exchange-2010.

0 Karma

pruthvikrishnap
Contributor

Hi Venkat,

With the description provided there is not much i can help with, but below are few accepted answers which could be of use.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/334729/how-to-troubleshoot-why-my-powershell-scripted-inp.html
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/1775/powershell-script-is-throwing-off-error-message-what-does-it...

Add some more context so we can discuss further on the issue

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...