Getting Data In

Filter input data

iokoluke

Hello,

We are looking at deploying splunk for our application servers log files, these log files are about 3GB per day.

I've had a look around the inputs and it does not seem possible to filter the incoming data.

Ideally we would be able to place a filer on each input to filter out and collect only Java errors. This is to help cut down on the amount of space we need to store the indexes.

The only other way i can think to do this is use a scripted input which filters all the data before passing it onto splunk. Basically cat the file and grep out just the errors.

Can you think of any better way to do this please?

thank you

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Assuming that you can use a regex to determine which particular events are of interest to you, routing to the nullQueue is the best solution: http://answers.splunk.com/questions/96/how-do-i-exclude-some-events-from-being-indexed-by-splunk.

If the decision is on a file-by-file basis, whitelists and blacklists in inputs.conf is the best solution.

View solution in original post

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Assuming that you can use a regex to determine which particular events are of interest to you, routing to the nullQueue is the best solution: http://answers.splunk.com/questions/96/how-do-i-exclude-some-events-from-being-indexed-by-splunk.

If the decision is on a file-by-file basis, whitelists and blacklists in inputs.conf is the best solution.

iokoluke

Thank you for the help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...