Getting Data In

File and Dir File Monitoring not working?

DesertSocBum
Explorer

Setup an app folder on my search head (clustered with indexers and HECS)  "TA-Whatever"  from the app builder. Dropped a  py script in the default folder inside TA-whatever that gens a json file that gets dropped in the parent app TA-whatever folder. 

When going to the add data, file and directory menu, I wen thru the server file system drop downs and selected the  json file and on the 2nd page where you select the sourcetype it sees the  json data.  After I select my index, source type and all that, finish, restart Splunk, and search the index,  I see nothing, no data is there.

I have rebuilt the app several times as the Splunk user,  as root.  chmod everything to 777. rebuild source types and index's. did props conf, treid with no entry in props.  added inputs conf to the local app folder, tried with no input.conf in the ta-whatever local folder,  also added a monitor to the global inputs.conf in etc/sys/local and still no dice.

here is my input.conf that i tried in global and the local app directory:

[monitor://tmp/felt.json]
disabled = 0
index = googlepyscript
sourcetype = googlepy

also tried:

[monitor:///tmp/felt.json]
disabled = 0
index = googlepyscript
sourcetype = googlepy

No matter what I do the index is not getting data. I have tried it with the build in _json sourcetype and created my own and no data goes to the index after I finish the wizard.   Any input is welcomed at this point as I have been going at it for several days. Thanks! 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

DesertSocBum
Explorer

I have solved this sort of.. for some reason the new index I created wont take data. Once I re-did all this and pointed it to an older index it started to work. 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DesertSocBum
Explorer

I have solved this sort of.. for some reason the new index I created wont take data. Once I re-did all this and pointed it to an older index it started to work. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...