Getting Data In

Field Values to Tags?

dfurtaw
Path Finder

Hi All,

I am in an interesting predicament in the environment I work with where our traditional method of tagging devops hosts via UF (in props/transforms) will no longer suffice as the team is moving to kubernetes and using Splunk Connect to forward to the HEC on our SH. 

A few of our Splunk end-users are questioning our ability to dynamically create tags, which they rely heavily on when creating custom reports and dashboards. Long story short, I am curious if there is the ability to assign a field value (i.e, altci) to a tag when a log is sent to the HEC. I believe there may be the ability to do this on the indexer level as data is being sent through the indexing pipeline but I do not have any experience and I can't find any documentation that states this. I would appreciate any type of guidance on this matter. Thank you!

Dan

Ideally, it would be something like:

If log has a field named altci, turn the field value into a tag=altcivalue.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...