Getting Data In

FREE Splunk that permits up to 500MB volume per day. How do I obtain this?

agoktas
Communicator

Hello!

How do I obtain a free version of Splunk that permits up to 500MB volume per day maximum? Is this something that I need to contact Splunk sales for (to obtain a license key)?

I have downloaded the enterprise version and it cuts you off after 30 days.

I just need the version/license for something I can keep indefinitely as I practice my SpunkFu at home/non-work time. At work, we have a licensed copy, but never bothered to have a FREE version for testing purposes.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@agoktas, Open Splunk and go to Settings > Licensing > Change license Group. Refer to Splunk documentation to change to Free license: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/MoreaboutSplunkFree

By default License is Enterprise Trial License which you need to convert to Free license group. Following are the options you should see. Refer to documentation for details on various types of Splunk licenses: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/TypesofSplunklicenses

Enterprise license

This license adds support for multi-user and distributed deployments, alerting, role-based security, single sign-on, scheduled PDF delivery, and unlimited data volumes.

There are no valid Splunk Enterprise licenses installed. You will be prompted to install a license if you choose this option.

Forwarder license

Use this group when configuring Splunk as a forwarder.Learn more

Free license

Use this group when you are running Splunk Free. This license has a 500MB/day daily indexing volume. Learn more

Enterprise Trial license

This is your included download trial. IMPORTANT: If you switch to another license, you cannot return to the Trial. You must install an Enterprise license or switch to Splunk Free.

I don't remember whether Splunk Licensing itself is covered as a topic for Splunk Fundamentals Part 1, but it surely is a very important topic that you should be aware for learning Splunk. Do go through Splunk Documentation to understand the concepts.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@agoktas, Open Splunk and go to Settings > Licensing > Change license Group. Refer to Splunk documentation to change to Free license: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/MoreaboutSplunkFree

By default License is Enterprise Trial License which you need to convert to Free license group. Following are the options you should see. Refer to documentation for details on various types of Splunk licenses: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/TypesofSplunklicenses

Enterprise license

This license adds support for multi-user and distributed deployments, alerting, role-based security, single sign-on, scheduled PDF delivery, and unlimited data volumes.

There are no valid Splunk Enterprise licenses installed. You will be prompted to install a license if you choose this option.

Forwarder license

Use this group when configuring Splunk as a forwarder.Learn more

Free license

Use this group when you are running Splunk Free. This license has a 500MB/day daily indexing volume. Learn more

Enterprise Trial license

This is your included download trial. IMPORTANT: If you switch to another license, you cannot return to the Trial. You must install an Enterprise license or switch to Splunk Free.

I don't remember whether Splunk Licensing itself is covered as a topic for Splunk Fundamentals Part 1, but it surely is a very important topic that you should be aware for learning Splunk. Do go through Splunk Documentation to understand the concepts.

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...