Getting Data In

Extreme Latency with Windows Events on one Windows Event Collector. How do I troubleshoot?

davidwaugh
Path Finder

Hello i have two windows event collectors. 3 domain controllers send their events to one event collector (WEC01), and three send their events to another event collector.(WEC02)

From 8.00 onwards (eg the start of the working day) the events from WEC02 are getting progressively delayed up to about 20,000 seconds behind, before eventually catching up by about 4AM in the morning.

Both systems have the same configurations on them, which are managed by a deployment server.

I have looked at:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/224727/why-is-my-universal-forwarder-showing-extreme-lag.html?utm...

And various other posts and have the following set:

limits.conf

[thruput]
maxKBps = 0

Outputs.conf

alt text

There doesnt appear to be any blockage in terms of indexer queues as other events are indexed fine and there is no latency. CPU, Memory and Network is all fine on the virtual machine. I can see no obvious reason why there is a delay.

Both Windows Event collectors are virtual machines. They may be on different physical hosts. There is a difference in latency in packets between the two hosts.

Here is a screenshot from the resouce monitor, network activity.

Slow Windows Event Collector (High Latency)

alt text

Fast Windows Event Collector (low latency)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...