Getting Data In

Extracting event date/time from record with multiple date/times

garryclarke
Path Finder

I have a data input with the following format for which I am struggling to extract the correct data for the SPLUNK event date and time.

MAIN|^0212345678-2|^6.75|^GBP|^2014-12-16|^2014-12-12 12:27:22|^1

The date time field I want to use for the event time is 2014-12-12 12:27:22 however SPLUNK seems to be using a combination of different fields to build the event date and time. For the above record it is deducing an event date and time of 2014-12-16 12:27:22. It seems to be deriving the date from field 5 and the time from field 7. Ultimately I would like the date and time to be derived only from field 7 i.e. 2014-12-12 12:27:22

I have tried various permutations of the following in my props.conf but still remain unsuccessful.

TIME_FORMAT=%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
TIME_PREFIX=(?i)^(?:[^\^]*\^){7}
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=50

Any ideas on what to try next would be much appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mzorzi
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This works for me:

[event_sourcetype]
TIME_PREFIX=^(?:[^\^\n]*\^){5}

Make sure the event has a sourcetype associated and utilise that sourcetype name in the props.conf

View solution in original post

mzorzi
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This works for me:

[event_sourcetype]
TIME_PREFIX=^(?:[^\^\n]*\^){5}

Make sure the event has a sourcetype associated and utilise that sourcetype name in the props.conf

garryclarke
Path Finder

Thanks mzorzi for pointing me in the right direction. I guess I need to spend a bit more time with my regular expressions.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...