Getting Data In

Extracting date from file name via custom datetime.xml not working...

sf-mike
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

All,

Here is the file name and my datetime.xml config. When I apply this and try to import the data, Splunk gets stuck in preview and never shows the data.

Thanks in advance for the assist!

File Name:

ADESS_FANALL_01082014_01172014_195441.csv

Datetime.xml Config

<datetime>

<define name="_masheddate3" extract="month, day, year">
        <text><![CDATA[(?:^|source::|source:).*?ADESS_FANALL_([01]\d)([0123]\d)(20[01]\d)]]></text>
</define>

<datePatterns>
        <use name="_masheddate3"/>
</datePatterns>

</datetime>

snehalk
Communicator

Hello @1500372,

I have followed same steps which you have mentioned in comment but am not getting any date extraction. Could you please help me

copy datetime.xml to specific directory.
cp -p /home/splunk/etc/datetime.xml /home/splunk/etc/system/local/my_datetime.xml

configure props.conf
[mysourcetype]
DATETIME_CONFIG = /etc/system/local/my_datetime.xml

Put your datetime configuration to my_datetime.xml (I didn't remove anything from my_datetime.xml)

restart Splunk and monitor file

Thanks in Adavance

0 Karma

ramdaspr
Contributor
ADESS_FANALL_(\d{2})(\d{2})20(\d{2})

might help.

0 Karma

kphillipson
Path Finder

I myself have the same problem with a file name like the one above. Your xml output looks ok.

0 Karma

Explorer

Did you remove all of configuration from datetime.xml? Why don't you copy datetime.xml from /etc to your directory?
I got the same situation and I resolved that like below.

1. copy datetime.xml to specific directory.
    cp -p /home/splunk/etc/datetime.xml /home/splunk/etc/system/local/my_datetime.xml

2. configure props.conf
    [mysourcetype]
    DATETIME_CONFIG = /etc/system/local/my_datetime.xml

3. Put your datetime configuration to my_datetime.xml (I didn't remove anything from my_datetime.xml)

4. restart Splunk and monitor file
    At that moment,I saw my test file name of ADESS_FANALL_01082014_01172014_195441.csv was indexed with expected timestamp. (14/01/08 xx:xx:xx.xxx)

0 Karma

kphillipson
Path Finder

What date is Splunk indexing it? The last modified date? That is what my file is being indexed as. I have no field inside my csv to represent time or date. Does yours?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...