Getting Data In

Extract "user" ID from monitor "fschange" event

vpsmax
Path Finder

Hello.

We are currently looking to utilize Splunk for monitoring a few configuration files on a server.  To do that, we have added the following stanza to the inputs.conf file ...

[fschange:C:\Splunk test\Test File 1.txt]
pollPeriod = 30
signedaudit = false
index = <index_name>
sourcetype = test:file:1
fullEvent=true

When searching using the following SPL search ...

index=<index_name> | head 10 | table path action modtime host source sourcetype

The data ingested looks good.  That is, we are getting details on when the change occurred as well as the changes made from within the file.  But one field seems to be missing.  Using the "fschange" stanza, how can we also get "user" data (ie. who was the one making the update)?

Regards,
Max

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Based on this answer https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/can-splunk-monitor-fschange/td-p/417518 you should add uid and gid to your table. And remember that fschange is deprecated feature and it will be removed in future!

r. Ismo

0 Karma

vpsmax
Path Finder

Thanks for your response.  I do get gid=-1 and uid=-1 from the event below ...

Mon Aug 24 18:45:36 2020 action=update, path="C:\Splunk test\Test File 2.txt", isdir=0, size=69, gid=-1, uid=-1, modtime="Mon Aug 24 18:45:27 2020", mode="rwxrwxrwx", hash=, chgs="modtime "

How can one extract a "user" from these fields?

0 Karma

vpsmax
Path Finder

Actually, I was able to find the answer.  To find the User ID, run "id -u".  To find the Group ID, run "id -g".  We are using Windows.  Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...