Getting Data In

Error when setting Splunk version 8.0.3 to Python 3: "No module named 'OpenSSL'".

qtieu

We have a custom python REST endpoint that uses the OpenSSL module for some crypto functions. Works fine when we run Splunk with the Python version set to Python 2 but fails with a No module named 'OpenSSL' error when we set the version to Python 3. So it looks like the OpenSSL module is not included in Splunk's Python 3? Am I missing something? Are there any plans to add that?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @qtieu

you can include all dependencies (pyOpenSSL etc.) in your app in the lib folder.

0 Karma

skhadem
Loves-to-Learn

I can't find a good example on how to do this, also wouldn't this require installing pyOpenSSL on the python3 included in Splunk?  I think there is more to it than a simple lib reference, but if you have an example that would be great

0 Karma

qtieu

Yes I could do that. But (as you may already be aware) the thing about OpenSSL and other crypto libraries is that they're usually just a thin Python wrapper calling some native C code so the Python packages also include some platform-dependent libraries. So including those would make our app platform-specific rather than just letting Splunk itself deal with the platform-specific things.

0 Karma

Sfry1981
Communicator

sounds simple but have you tried the below

pip install pyOpenSSL --upgrade
0 Karma

qtieu

Well that would upgrade it on the OS, but the python code in Splunk apps run in Splunk's separate python environment. The other issue is that we're building an app that gets installed in customers' environments, not our own Splunk environment where we could just add/upgrade the python modules.

It's just strange that Splunk would include OpenSSL in their python2 environment but not their python3 environment. Especially since they will be ending support for python2 altogether in July.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...