Getting Data In

Empty results from rest call in Report

felipetesta
Path Finder

Hello.
Running 6.6 (paid license) with LDAP authentication. I need to use my own email in a Report. I built a complex search that works, but once it is run as a Report the "| rest" call returns empty. So I tried to save a simpler search:

| rest /services/authentication/current-context | fields + email 

When I run it in the free search it returns my address. When I run the Report it returns no data.

Is there something that prevents rest calls in saved searches? Is it a problem with permissions? (but in the simplest test case I am using my own account).

Help.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Could be some funky issue with reports. Have you tried just using this search on the dashboard to set a token?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Could be some funky issue with reports. Have you tried just using this search on the dashboard to set a token?

0 Karma

felipetesta
Path Finder

Indeed, looks like an issue with reports. I inserted the full search query into a dashboard panel, gave it full visibility and it finally worked. I tested with three different users. Solved.

0 Karma

felipetesta
Path Finder

Additional info. The big plan is to allow any user to authenticate on Splunk and see a read-only dashboard with an analysis of her/his operations as found in indexed logs (such as Country of last access, incoming/outgoing email/antispam statistics, ...). I need to determine their email address automatically and I think there's no other way than the REST call to current-context.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

i'm unaware of any permissions/capabilities that would cause this issue. i just ran a super simple search and saved as a report and it seems to work for me, however.
|makeresults|eval data="testdata"|appendcols [| rest /services/authentication/current-context |fields email]

who owns the report? the report (and therefore the rest) will run as the owner of the report, i believe.

0 Karma

felipetesta
Path Finder

The search is owned by me. I modified as shown

• Show to Owner: works for owner, others don't see it.
  • Shared to App, runs as Owner, All R&W: works for owner, others see it amongst Searches but shows no email.
  • Shared to App, run as User, All R&W: works for owner, others see it amongst Searches but shows no email.

It works in the last configuration if I login as "admin", and admin's email address is shown. But not for other logins.

As admin I tried to share the report to all Apps (Global), same behavior: for normal users the saved search returns nothing.

The "Inspect > Search log" for a working and a non-working case is the same.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...