Getting Data In

Easiest method to extend pretrained sourcetype access_common to support X-forward-for?

rune_hellem
Contributor

The events indexed via Syslog and stripped for the prefixed date/time using SEDCMD is finally indexed by Splunk like this

192.777.77.77  95.66.66.66 - - [16/Aug/2019:11:34:50.962 +0000] "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 404 6144

Ok, it is a slight diff from what I see here https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/Data/Listofpretrainedsourcetypes, the example does not have the X-forward-for address

10.1.1.140 - - [16/May/2005:15:01:52 -0700] "GET /themes/ComBeta/images/bullet.png HTTP/1.1" 404 304

Question is how do I extend access_common to support source ip and x-forward-for and also indexing the other fields as well?

0 Karma
1 Solution

rune_hellem
Contributor

This was how I ended up implemeting it - the first comment to my question by @somesoni2 actually pointed me to previous customizations done by a Splunk consultant.

As described in the comment

splunk btool props list access_common

showed me

REPORT-access = access-extractions

pointed me to the file

splunk\etc\system\default\transforms.conf

And then I found some customizations a consultant had implemented for us years ago, so now I should try doing the same as him adding x-forward-for to my custom access_common. This customization is done in an app "TA-KLP", and not in the default app of Splunk.

I created a custom sourcetype 'klp_access_common' and using the extract for access_common adjusted it to our own needs

REPORT-thread = extract-klp_access_common

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rune_hellem
Contributor

This was how I ended up implemeting it - the first comment to my question by @somesoni2 actually pointed me to previous customizations done by a Splunk consultant.

As described in the comment

showed me

pointed me to the file

And then I found some customizations a consultant had implemented for us years ago, so now I should try doing the same as him adding x-forward-for to my custom access_common. This customization is done in an app "TA-KLP", and not in the default app of Splunk.

I created a custom sourcetype 'klp_access_common' and using the extract for access_common adjusted it to our own needs

REPORT-thread = extract-klp_access_common
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can create your custom sourcetype by taking definition of pretained sourcetype access_common (you can use btool to find the config for pretained sourcetype e.g. line breaker, timestamp parsing and field extraction ) and use it to define your custom sourcetype with your modifications. Then update your data inputs to use this custom sourcetype explicitly.

0 Karma

rune_hellem
Contributor

showed me

pointed me to the file

And then I found some customizations a consultant had implemented for us years ago, so now I should try doing the same as him adding x-forward-for to my custom access_common

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

we do not update any file in splunk\etc\system\default\, so you'd create a new app (to be deployed in splunk/etc/apps) with a props.conf and transforms.conf. The props.conf will have definition of your custom sourcetype and will point to transforms.conf which will have your custom field extraction for your custom sourcetype.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...