Getting Data In

Does the Universal forwarder collect historical windows event logs?

sjcoluccio67
Explorer

I have installed the UF on a number of servers and I configured ti to monitor the winodws event logs (Application, System, Security). It looks like the UF has only picked up the event logs starting from when it was installed. Is there a way to tell the UF to ingest all of the event logs from the past?

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Did you change the start_from and/or current_only settings in inputs.conf for those wineventlog inputs? Please share the relevant inputs.conf code.

Given the default settings, both of those should be 0, resulting in Splunk also reading existing events if I'm not mistaken.

0 Karma

sjcoluccio67
Explorer

Here is my input. I did not specify either of the settings you mentioned. Is the default behavior of the UF to only ingest new data from after it is installed?
[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog://Application]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog://secRMM]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog://ForwardedEvents]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-Powershell/Operational]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog
0 Karma

mariaboranova

did you solve that?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...