Getting Data In

Does the Universal forwarder collect historical windows event logs?

sjcoluccio67
Explorer

I have installed the UF on a number of servers and I configured ti to monitor the winodws event logs (Application, System, Security). It looks like the UF has only picked up the event logs starting from when it was installed. Is there a way to tell the UF to ingest all of the event logs from the past?

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Did you change the start_from and/or current_only settings in inputs.conf for those wineventlog inputs? Please share the relevant inputs.conf code.

Given the default settings, both of those should be 0, resulting in Splunk also reading existing events if I'm not mistaken.

0 Karma

sjcoluccio67
Explorer

Here is my input. I did not specify either of the settings you mentioned. Is the default behavior of the UF to only ingest new data from after it is installed?
[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog://Application]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog://secRMM]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog://ForwardedEvents]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-Powershell/Operational]
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog
0 Karma

mariaboranova

did you solve that?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...