Getting Data In

Does Splunk provide fully supported Docker universal forwarder ?

splunkmachine
Explorer

We are looking at using the Docker Universal Forwarder for logging forwarding from the official GitHub Splunk repository.

https://github.com/splunk/docker-splunk/blob/master/universalforwarder/README.md

However, can you provide details on whether this is fully supported by Splunk ? Is a new version also release at each version update with Splunk ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

koshyk
Super Champion

please note, Splunk Docker UF is an open source project , so the versions change as when you like it. I changed it once 🙂 so you are not guarateed to get the same UF version when you pull.

If you want a specific stable version, my recommendation is to download the docker file. Change the splunk version and the build number and build and store this image for your local purposes. Ensure latest is tagged.

(While implementing inPROD environments, would be it better to install the UFs on the client machines rather all the client machines having docker environment.)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I think you are looking at this backwards; it is docker that supports splunk:
https://docs.docker.com/engine/admin/logging/splunk/

0 Karma

splunkmachine
Explorer

There are several methods to forward events. The link you posted is for the docker supported driver to Splunk via HEC. We have been exploring using the Splunk dockerised UF in the open source project to forward events for a slightly different use case. The other method to explore next is forwarding events via Google Cloud PUB/SUB subscription

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

please note, Splunk Docker UF is an open source project , so the versions change as when you like it. I changed it once 🙂 so you are not guarateed to get the same UF version when you pull.

If you want a specific stable version, my recommendation is to download the docker file. Change the splunk version and the build number and build and store this image for your local purposes. Ensure latest is tagged.

(While implementing inPROD environments, would be it better to install the UFs on the client machines rather all the client machines having docker environment.)

0 Karma

splunkmachine
Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes this makes perfect sense however, just exploring methods for forwarding/streaming events realtime from Google Cloud Container into Splunk on premise

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

A cheerful presentation about the integration at
Containerization and Splunk: How Docker and Splunk Work Together

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...