Getting Data In

Do forwarders require indexes.conf?

jaoui
Path Finder

If i am setting up a heavy forwarder to monitor directories and tag indexes, do i need to create an indexes.conf on it or is specifying an index in inputs.conf sufficient?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jaoui
Path Finder

I learned that Splunk Forwarders do not necessarily need indexes.conf to tag inputs for a given index but there are 3 different scenarios:

1. When using the configuration files there is no restriction and Splunk will forward correctly without the indexes.conf
  2. When using the CLI, splunk will complain if we try to configure inputs without a corresponding entry in indexes.conf
  3. When using the web, we will only be presented with indexes configured in indexes.conf

Hope that helps others!

View solution in original post

jaoui
Path Finder

I learned that Splunk Forwarders do not necessarily need indexes.conf to tag inputs for a given index but there are 3 different scenarios:

1. When using the configuration files there is no restriction and Splunk will forward correctly without the indexes.conf
  2. When using the CLI, splunk will complain if we try to configure inputs without a corresponding entry in indexes.conf
  3. When using the web, we will only be presented with indexes configured in indexes.conf

Hope that helps others!

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you're going to go with the defaults you do not need to setup a $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/indexes.conf. You can go with the default out-of-the-box $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/indexes.conf. You also dont need to specify an index in inputs.conf if you want to write to the default main index.

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi jaoui, no you don't need it on the forwarder

0 Karma

jaoui
Path Finder

i am planning out like 10 indexes on the inputs of this heavy forwarder (it will be monitoring directories written to by syslog-ng)

if i specify the indexes in inputs.conf like:
[monitor:///data/syslog-ng/cisco]
host_segment = 4
index = net_cisco
sourcetype = cisco_syslog

do i need a corresponding entry in indexes.conf on the forwarder for net_cisco? even though the forwarder is not itself indexing data?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...