Getting Data In

Deploying Custom Splunk Docker Image Ansible Issue

jgonsalves575

Hi all,

Right now I'm just trying to deploy a Docker container with Splunk installed from an image built from source (from Splunk's GH page: https://github.com/splunk/docker-splunk). The custom elements will come later, I'm just trying to get the default splunk-centos-7 image to work.

I'm running inside a Centos 8 VM with Docker installed. I believe this is a configuration issue, but I can't find anything online mentioning what to do.

My workflow from inside the cloned repo dir:

• Make the image (this is straight from the master branch)
    sudo make splunk-centos-7

• This successfully builds the image. Then, I run (with the proper password):
    sudo docker run -it -p 8000:8000 -e "SPLUNK_PASSWORD=<password>" -e "SPLUNK_START_ARGS=--accept-license" <image ID>

• This causes entrypoint.sh to eventually run ansible-playbook $ANSIBLE_EXTRA_FLAGS -i inventory/environ.py site.yml
  • This is where my issue is - I get the error:
    TASK [Provision role] ***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    [WARNING]: 'splunk' is undefined

I've tried the recommendation at https://splunk.github.io/splunk-ansible/EXAMPLES.html#provision-local-standalone and running with a default.yml file, but I get an Ansible error when including the splunk_standalone role.

It feels like I'm missing some configuration somewhere. The build succeeds, but trying to run the container fails. Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Karma

jgonsalves575

Never received an answer on building from source, but I found a work around for my need.

I was trying to STIG a Splunk container, so all I had to do was make a Dockerfile using splunk/splunk:latest as the the base image, and copy/run a bash script in there.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...