Getting Data In

Deleting an Index from the fish bucket

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

I want to find an index I created and remove it completely from Splunk, so I can re-use the same name, How can this be done?

Tags (3)

Jason
Motivator

Another way to force re-indexing of already-indexed files is to add a crcSalt to the particular input in inputs.conf. Any file that was found by the input would then get a modified hash in the fishbucket and would be re-read.

[monitor:///some/awesome/stuff]
sourcetype = best_to_have_one
blacklist = \.if_necessary$
crcSalt = readItAgain

You could run a search for | metadata type=sources index=bad to pull a list of all the files you need to find, then add a crcSalt to those input stanzas in inputs.conf.

This may help too, using btprobe: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/54070/btprobe-and-re-indexing-data/66208

wrangler2x
Motivator

This worked hot-damn!

I had some syslog data that went into a wrong index. After fixing that problem, I used a command line search to get the raw records, and used the manager to create a one-time input for the file created from that. Did not index! Fishbucket! So I ran across this and created a batch input for the desired index (sinkhole type) and added the crcSalt = readItAgain and after splunk restarted the file was gone and the data was indexed where it ought to be. Excellent!

0 Karma

twkan
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you want to reindex the same files again, you can take a look at the 'oneshot' command. Another way I could think of is to install a temporary forwarder to re-index those files before forwarding them out to the current instance. Since this temporary forwarder will have a new fishbucket, it wouldn't know the files have already been indexed before and you can achieve the re-indexing without clearing the existing fishbucket on your instance.

0 Karma

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This will clean the ENTIRE fishbucket:

./splunk clean eventdata _thefishbucket

Not sure how to clean select or partial data from fishbucket.

parth_panchal
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @_d_./splunk clean eventdata _thefishbucket is wrong command it will delete all data from all indexes in Splunk instance. Please use ./splunk clean eventdata -index  _thefishbucket  to clean the fishbucket only.

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

There is an explanation of how to do a partial cleaning of t he fishbucket here: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/72562/how-to-reindex-data-from-a-forwarder

0 Karma

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

This is What I need, although I do not want to delete the whole fishbucket, would it be possible to use this following command to remove a particular index from the Fishbucket:

./splunk clean eventdata _fishbucket -index

If there was, this would defiantly solve a great number of issues im having!

0 Karma

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To remove an index, stop the splunk service and do the following from the command line:

./splunk clean eventdata -index <index_name>

Note: This will completely delete the data in the specified index and is irreversible!

Hope this helps.

> please upvote and accept answer if you find it useful - thanks!

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

Nope this isnt useful, I do need to mention that when clearing event data, I cannot re-index the same files to that index, unless I change the index name!

What I want is to Completely remove the index from Splunk!.....basically from the Fishbucket in order to re-index my logs.

So how can I do this?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...