Getting Data In

Debugging universal forwarder sinkhole ingestion

garrettsdet
Engager

Hi! I have a local setup where I have splunk Enterprise, and a single universal forwarder monitoring an arbitrary Documents folder:

The forwarder is set up to send entire files to splunk with these inputs.conf settings:

[batch://C:\Users\Currentuser\Documents\TestSplunk]
disabled = 0
sourcetype = BugReport
move_policy = sinkhole
index = sandbox

When I place a text file into this TestSplunk directory, it does disappear, showing that the forwarder had picked it up, and disposed of the file as per the move_policy. However, from Splunk enterprise, I can't seem to see evidence of the file being received. In the splunkd.log belonging to the forwarder, I don't see any message with regards to the file that it detected/sent/deleted. How would I be able to see information about this kind of thing?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried this search?  If not, what did you try?

index=sandbox sourcetype=BugReport earliest=0 latest=+1y
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried this search?  If not, what did you try?

index=sandbox sourcetype=BugReport earliest=0 latest=+1y
---

garrettsdet
Engager

Thanks Rich!

The search worked and showed a bunch of events for the two files I ingested. I tried a search earlier today of sourcetype=BugReport, but that didn't work. I guess I need to study the search syntax more closely, maybe do some tutorials.

Thanks for the help!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's important to always specify an index in your searches because the default index(es) for your role may not be the one(s) where the data resides.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...