Getting Data In

Data no longer coming due to SSL error

dtran
Explorer

I am new to Splunk but was task to leverage Splunk to build dashboards and monitor all of our data from SFMC.

I was successful in creating the different indexes and inputs and everything was working fine until 11/1 when I either made the mistake to upgrade from 8.0.6 then rolled back and also my company updated my Mac as well.

However when running several diagnotics and investigations everything comes back to the SSL error

11-05-2020 09:31:15.819 -0800 WARN  SSLCommon - Received fatal SSL3 alert. ssl_state='error', alert_description='unknown CA'.

event_message = Received fatal SSL3 alert. ssl_state='error', alert_description='unknown CA'.
    eventtype = splunkd-log
    host = 4ustorml05032
    source = /Applications/Splunk/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log
    sourcetype = splunkd

11-05-2020 09:31:15.819 -0800 ERROR ApplicationUpdater - Error checking for update, URL=https://apps.splunk.com/api/apps:resolve/checkforupgrade: error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed - please check the output of the `openssl verify` command for the certificates involved; note that if certificate verification is enabled (requireClientCert or sslVerifyServerCert set to "true"), the CA certificate and the server certificate should not have the same Common Name.

I tried pretty much all the other recommendation and as well as in the documentation that Splunk provides which included generating the certs, configuring it in the various location web.conf, input.conf, server.conf, etc.

The only that that would happen is break my instance and I would need to roll back.

I am unsure what may the cause is, I rolled back the latest version because it broke our apps since they were Python 2 and the latest version is now 3.

Any insight would be great. Also I pretty much been at all of the forums and tried several solution but many were outdated and most likely didn't fit my issue.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...