Getting Data In

DB Connect KEY=VALUE Extraction Fail

cdstealer
Contributor

Hi,  I'm struggling to get a complete extraction on any fields that contain double quotes.

The payload:

2021-05-25 07:59:04.000, auditId="17864172953", groups_groupId="4639", groupName="some group name", people_personId="625841", users_userId="152321", userLogin="field-removed", userStaffFlag="false", auditIP="111.222.333.444", auditMod="Module", auditMessage="Module: "mod1" is not present in a check, Module: "mod2" is not present in a check, Module: "mod3" is not present in a check, Module: "mod4" is not present in a check, Module: "mod5" is not present in a check, Module: "mod6" is not present in a check, Module: "mod7" is not present in a check, Module: "mod8" is not present in a check, Module: "mod9" is not present in a check, Module: "mod10" is not present in a check", auditDate="2021-05-25 07:59:04.0", auditType="info", auditRID="88827e1f-d157-46d5-b1b4-20b91d4440a4", auditMicroSeconds="0.0000"

In this example, it's the "auditMessage" key that will not extract completely and stops at the first "Module: "<--

The REGEX (\w+)="(.*?)" Gets me most of the way there (regx101), but doesn't work in splunk.

My Fu has failed me.

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

cdstealer
Contributor

So after a little more reading, this is a known issue with DBConnect.  The official work around is to use KV_MODE and then apply a search time extraction for the problematic fields.

auditMessage="(?P<auditMessage>.+?)",

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Would you believe you're only missing a comma?  This works in regex101.com

(\w+)="(.*?)",
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

cdstealer
Contributor

HI Rich,  Thanks for the response.  I had already done that, works in reg101 but not in splunk

I've also come up with (?:([\w+]+)=(?:\")(.+?)(?:\",\s|\"$)) which does exactly what I want on reg101 , but again doesn't work the same in Splunk.

0 Karma

cdstealer
Contributor

So after a little more reading, this is a known issue with DBConnect.  The official work around is to use KV_MODE and then apply a search time extraction for the problematic fields.

auditMessage="(?P<auditMessage>.+?)",

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...