Getting Data In

CyberArk logs to Splunk via Syslog-ng

bharathkumarnec
Contributor

Hello Everyone,

We have configured CyberArk logs to index into splunk based on the instructions provided in the splunk documentation. We configured to receive logs via syslog-ng through port 514, we are receiving logs but these logs are not getting processed properly by syslog-ng and we see below error:

Error processing log message: <5>1 and continued by the logs from the CyberArk.

We are using 3.5.6 version of syslog-ng, anyone faced this kind of error? this error is because of the structure of the data?

Your inputs are of great help!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

BK

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @bharathkumarnec ,

You could try the no parse flag (flags(no-parse)) for the source defintion in the syslog-ng config. 
If the error relates to the format, this could at least help to get the data coming in.

It puts everything in the $message macro if you do that. You might end up with duplicate timestamps or stuff like that.  You can work around that with templates on the destinations and/or rewrite rules.

It also helps to see what the messages look like when they come in, with tcpdump e.g. Maybe it's something weird syslog-ng can not work with at all. 

Hope it helps.
BR
Ralph

--
Karma and/or Solution tagging appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @bharathkumarnec ,

That's weird.
What makes you think, that these messages reach syslog-ng at all? 
Where do you see the error message you mentioned?

Maybe you see a more detailed error message, when you run syslog-ng in foreground.
Stop the daemon and then run:

/opt/syslog-ng/sbin/syslog-ng -Fedv

This will run Syslog-ng in foreground, so everything will go to stdout.
If you get a lot of messages, you maybe want to pipe that to a file and run it for a short period  only.

To see the messages regardless of what syslog-ng does to them, you can try:

tcpdump -i eth0 port 514 -v 

you maybe have to change the interface or port to meet your environment.
(same here: if your screen explodes due to too many  messages, pipe it to a file and run it just shortly)

You can also run a grep against tcpdump. Grep for something unique to the cyberark Logs, if you get more via the same port.

tcpdump -i eth0 port 514 -v  |  grep -C2 <cyber ark unique string>

Maybe one of the options gets you closer to find the rootcause.

Cheers
Ralph

--

bharathkumarnec
Contributor

@rnowitzki , Thanks for taking time in replying.

Before writing the question here in the group below are the things that I did:

* We are receiving data from three sources on the same port, so that way only one set of data which is not seen extracting from the syslog-ng.

* So then, I tried to dump everything irrespective of the host into a different location and i observed that the cyberark logs are stored with the receiver hostname and logs are with the error "error processing log file".

* Then i did tcpdump on the host that is receiving the logs and observed that the logs are seen without any error message.

* After i realized that this is something related to the syslog-ng configuration then i used lot of rules and templates along with no parse flag, still no luck.

Now, again i realized that the no parse flag is not used\set in the way it is supposed to use, then again when i corrected the configuration, i can see the logs are receiving.

Thanks a lot for your help, so i would say no parse flag helped me in this case.

Regards,

BK

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @bharathkumarnec ,

You could try the no parse flag (flags(no-parse)) for the source defintion in the syslog-ng config. 
If the error relates to the format, this could at least help to get the data coming in.

It puts everything in the $message macro if you do that. You might end up with duplicate timestamps or stuff like that.  You can work around that with templates on the destinations and/or rewrite rules.

It also helps to see what the messages look like when they come in, with tcpdump e.g. Maybe it's something weird syslog-ng can not work with at all. 

Hope it helps.
BR
Ralph

--
0 Karma

bharathkumarnec
Contributor

@rnowitzki , Thanks for your inputs, i tried with no parse flag but still no luck..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...