Getting Data In

Crowd sourcing sensitive data masking rules (PII, Passwords, keys, etc.) for various sourcetypes

dstaulcu
Builder

My team has a number of index-time sedcmd-based password masking rules for words in known positions of passwords. This strategy has worked well for us for a while. We are currently wrestling with a case where users accidentally include their passwords along with their upn (user@domain) in the userid field of a windows logon. Does anyone have a good way to handle this condition?

Similarly, does anyone know of any projects to curate lists of trusted splunk transforms for sensitive data masking?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

From the documentation side I see the following Anonymize data

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's no accounting for stupidity.

Perhaps, however, if the domain portion of the upn is well-known, you can mask everything that follows it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

dstaulcu
Builder

That was might thought as well... some sort of negative look-behind. I thought I was good at regex until I tried to mask passwords with low fp rate.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...