Getting Data In

Count the number of events but avoid counting weekend days

mtmoore
Explorer

How would one filter out weekends in a count of events based on a search? Filter so that those days are not included in anyway... i.e. avoiding 0s in your final output due to the weekends.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try out following

index="MSExchange" sourcetype="MSExchange:2010:MessageTracking" eventtype="storedriver-deliver"  | timechart count as NoofMessages | eval date_wday=lower(strftime(_time,"%A")) |where NOT (date_wday=saturday OR date_wday=sunday) | fields - date_wday| predict NoofMessages future_timespan=180

mtmoore
Explorer

That was the answer but with one modification... date_wday=saturday etc... the day needed to be surrounded in quotes i.e. date_wday="saturday". Thankyou very much!

0 Karma

royimad
Builder

Using the predefined date_wday on the events you can exclude weekends

sourcetype="testcsvlog" (date_wday=monday OR date_wday=tuesday OR date_wday=wednesday OR date_wday=thursday OR date_wday=friday) | ....

mtmoore
Explorer

throw everything out for |predict.

How can this be avoided?

0 Karma

mtmoore
Explorer

The problem with the above is that it replaces the 2 days with 0s. Therefore, if you pipe the search into |predict, it skewers the results.. I want those 2 days totally removed from the equation.

Here is my search:

index="MSExchange" sourcetype="MSExchange:2010:MessageTracking" eventtype="storedriver-deliver" (date_wday=monday OR date_wday=tuesday OR date_wday=wednesday OR date_wday=thursday OR date_wday=friday) | timechart count as NoofMessages | predict NoofMessages future_timespan=180

In the above example for your search data you get Fri 1000, Sat 0, Sunday 0, Tues 2500... the 0s

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...