Getting Data In

Correct TIME_FORMAT for the following timestamp?

infomedix

Hello,
I'm having trouble extracting the following timestamp for one source, is there someone here that can recommend what values to put into the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/local file under the TIME_FORMAT attribute?

Mon Oct 8 12:15:10 EST 2012:

That is currently being indexed as 10/9/12 4:15:10.000 AM when it should be 8/10/12 12:15:10 AM.

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Karma

infomedix

I am still unsuccessful in configuring this, can anybody see anything that I am missing?

0 Karma

infomedix

I am looking at the newer ones, I fed new data into it after making the changes and restarting the service.

My gut feeling is that the props file is not being called...

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Are you looking for timestamps in new events or old ones? Events that have already been indexed will not be affected by this change, because they already have their timestamp set.

Otherwise check splunkd.log for messages related to strptime time extraction, to see what error it is throwing. You MIGHT need to include an extra ":" at the end in your TIME_FORMAT.

0 Karma

infomedix

Thanks Ayn, perhaps you can help me further, I placed the following in /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/props.conf:

[source::/directory/structure/logfile.log]

TIME_FORMAT = %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y

Then restarted the service and fed more data into the log however it is still not recognising the timestamp. Is there something which I am doing wrong that you can see?

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend
%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...