Getting Data In

Confused about Splunk App for Windows

Branden
Builder

I've been using Splunk for several years now. I have forwarders installed on Linux, AIX, and Solaris. Never had an issue.

I recently installed a universal forwarder on my first-ever Windows server. And it forwards its WinEvent/Perfmon data to my Linux-based Indexer without any issue. I haven't installed any additional TAs on the forwarder (yet). It just ran with whatever the Forwarder came with.

Where I'm confused is how I get the App with the UI/Dashboards running on my Linux-based Splunk instance. Reading the documentation, I get the impression it only works on a Windows-based Indexer. I've looked around on these forums and people running their indexer on Linux seem to have similar confusions and mixed results.

I refer to this doc: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/WindowsApp/latest/User/HowtodeploytheSplunkAppforWindows

Which says that I only need to install the TA on the Linux indexer. But will that provide me with the UI/Dashboards? From the description, it doesn't sound like it.

There are many posts on here regarding the Windows App, but I can't find a clear answer to this. Will the Splunk App for Windows run on a Linux indexer or not? If not, am I out of luck with getting the Dashboard?

Thank you very much in advance.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Linegod
Path Finder

App Requirements

"You can also install the Splunk App for Windows on a non-Windows Splunk instance to display Windows data coming from external sources, such as universal forwarders that run the Splunk Technology Add-on (TA) for Windows."

View solution in original post

Linegod
Path Finder

App Requirements

"You can also install the Splunk App for Windows on a non-Windows Splunk instance to display Windows data coming from external sources, such as universal forwarders that run the Splunk Technology Add-on (TA) for Windows."

Branden
Builder

Somehow I missed that. Thank you! 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...