Getting Data In

Is there an app or already configured out-of-the-box setup for getting Cisco IOS version numbers?

TrevorW2000
Explorer

Is there an app or already configured out-of-the-box setup for getting Cisco IOS version numbers for Cisco Routers/Switches/Firewalls on a network? We're currently sending syslog data to Splunk, but that's it.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mikaelbje
Motivator

Hi Trevor,

no, there isn't, but this is on the TODO list for the Cisco IOS app.

You will have to get the version numbers via SNMP. You can do this using the SNMP Modular Input app with i.e. something along the following as an input:

#[snmp://10.215.32.101 - info]
#disabled = 0
#communitystring = SNMPCOMMUNITY
#destination = 10.215.32.101
#mib_names = IF-MIB,SNMPv2-MIB,EtherLike-MIB,DISMAN-EVENT-MIB,ENTITY-MIB,RMON2-MIB,RMON-MIB,RFC1213-MIB,IPV6-TCP-MIB,TCP-MIB,UDP-MIB
#object_names = iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system
#do_bulk_get = 1
#ipv6 = 0
#listen_traps = 0
#snmp_version = 2C
#split_bulk_output = 1
#snmpinterval = 1200
#interval = 1200
#sourcetype = Cisco:SNMP:Info

This only covers one device. You will have to go through the SNMP OIDs to get the one with the version number in it. Have a look at this blog post by jbennett for details about traversing SNMP values with Splunk

My intention is to automatically create these inputs using the Cisco IOS app for every device, but so far it's on the TODO list.

View solution in original post

MOberschelp
Explorer

Hi!

We do this with the Cisco Call Home feature. You can configure splunk to accept the call home xml over a custom port. f.e. tcp 8180. You get serial number, ios version and many other information. The only thing is the missing / or wrong field extractions.

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Hi Trevor,

no, there isn't, but this is on the TODO list for the Cisco IOS app.

You will have to get the version numbers via SNMP. You can do this using the SNMP Modular Input app with i.e. something along the following as an input:

#[snmp://10.215.32.101 - info]
#disabled = 0
#communitystring = SNMPCOMMUNITY
#destination = 10.215.32.101
#mib_names = IF-MIB,SNMPv2-MIB,EtherLike-MIB,DISMAN-EVENT-MIB,ENTITY-MIB,RMON2-MIB,RMON-MIB,RFC1213-MIB,IPV6-TCP-MIB,TCP-MIB,UDP-MIB
#object_names = iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system
#do_bulk_get = 1
#ipv6 = 0
#listen_traps = 0
#snmp_version = 2C
#split_bulk_output = 1
#snmpinterval = 1200
#interval = 1200
#sourcetype = Cisco:SNMP:Info

This only covers one device. You will have to go through the SNMP OIDs to get the one with the version number in it. Have a look at this blog post by jbennett for details about traversing SNMP values with Splunk

My intention is to automatically create these inputs using the Cisco IOS app for every device, but so far it's on the TODO list.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...