Getting Data In

Change log storage time

splunkcol
Builder

When the indexes were created, they were created by default.

Now that I needed to know how long a log went from hot to warm bucket and finally to frozen, I have the following question.

1. Is this query correct to know how long it is configured to go to frozen?
| rest / services / data / indexes | fields title froz * | rename title as index

2. If I need it not to store the logs for 6 years, which is the value that I see by default, and I need it to store the logs for 6 months, understanding that when the log reaches 6 months it would go to a frozen state and splunk would begin to eliminate the older data.

3. I should create a file called indexes.conf in the "local" folder and set the value frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 15778800

b Should I go to the bin and restart the splunk service for it to take the changes?

4. Would this change immediately erase logs that are already 6 months old in seconds? or does it start from this moment?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

General_Talos
Path Finder

1. Is this query correct to know how long it is configured to go to frozen?
| rest / services / data / indexes | fields title froz * | rename title as index

-- Yes SPL is correct

2. If I need it not to store the logs for 6 years, which is the value that I see by default, and I need it to store the logs for 6 months, understanding that when the log reaches 6 months it would go to a frozen state and splunk would begin to eliminate the older data.

-- https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.1/Indexer/Setaretirementandarchivingpolicy

The maxTotalDataSizeMB and frozenTimePeriodInSecs attributes in indexes.conf help determine when buckets roll from cold to frozen.

3. I should create a file called indexes.conf in the "local" folder and set the value frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 15778800

-- Yes , 15778800 (seconds) means something near to 6 months (60*60*24*180) and for exact value is 15552000 (considering 30 days in each month).

b Should I go to the bin and restart the splunk service for it to take the changes?

-- Yes, if you are on "standalone infra" Splunk restart required and if you are on a "indexer cluster" a configuration push with rolling restart of all the peer nodes required.

4. Would this change immediately erase logs that are already 6 months old in seconds? or does it start from this moment?

-- Its not very immediate, based on your infra may take 2-10 min (again its based on your Splunk infra).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...