Getting Data In

Cannot forward one specific index between indexers

lenrigodoy
Explorer

I'm working on an indexer to try to forward all data ingested with IT Essentials Work + Splunk Add-on for Unix & Linux to a remote indexer cluster. Until now, that indexer is receiving events into all itsi_* indexes, but, when I try to setup the forwarding option into that indexer, I cannot set the forwardedindex.n.whitelist and blacklist to forward only the itsi_* indexes to the IDX Cluster. I've try to overwrite all default whitelists and blacklists on local and reset whitelists with itsi_* indexes, but, this still forwarding all indexes, nor only itsi_* indexes.

My outputs.conf file is like following:

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group
forwardedindex.0.whitelist =
forwardedindex.1.blacklist =
forwardedindex.2.whitelist =
forwardedindex.0.whitelist = (itsi_grouped_alerts|itsi_im_meta|itsi_im_metrics|itsi_import_objects|itsi_notable_archive|itsi_notable_audit|itsi_summary|itsi_summary_metrics|itsi_tracked_alerts)
indexAndForward = 1

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]
disabled = false
server = HFtoIDXCluster:9997
useACK = true

If I use a "default" config option, overwriting the lists not resetting (not declaring the default 3 lists empty on the tcpout stanza) I have the same behaviour. This is the first time I try to set forwarding options from an indexer. I need to forward this data because it's used for administration of each Splunk instances, and it's required to get into a specific Splunk Enterprise cluster, but, all other indexes it's not required to be forwarded. Have I miss something to specify into config files?

Best regards

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

tshah-splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @lenrigodoy,

Did you try specifying the outputs in the below manner?

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group
forwardedindex.0.whitelist =(itsi_grouped_alerts|itsi_im_meta|itsi_im_metrics|itsi_import_objects|itsi_notable_archive|itsi_notable_audit|itsi_summary|itsi_summary_metrics|itsi_tracked_alerts)
indexAndForward = 1

The filters will be working in the sequential manner of the integers provided after the forwardedindex parameter. And in your case, I see there are 2 parameters with forwardedindex.0.whitelist in the outputs.conf. And sequentially, the filter you need is present in the parameter present at the bottom. 

---
If you find the answer helpful, an upvote/karma is appreciated
0 Karma

lenrigodoy
Explorer

I've follow the Docs about route data

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.4/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Filter_data_by_tar...

In this doc, it's recommended to do:

"If you want to forward only the data targeted for a single index (for example, as specified in inputs.conf), and drop any data that is not a target for that index, configure outputs.conf in this way:

[tcpout]
#Disable the current filters from the defaults outputs.conf
forwardedindex.0.whitelist = 

#Forward data for the "myindex" index
forwardedindex.0.whitelist = myindex

This first disables all filters from the default outputs.conf file. It then sets the filter for your own index. Be sure to start the filter numbering with 0: forwardedindex.0."

Now, I'm testing your config, I'll update my answer in case of that config works. Otherwise, I will test other configs to find the working one.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...