Getting Data In

Can you run multisite clusters with different OS?

fatemabwesnet

Hi,

I wanted to ask if multisite Splunk clusters can run different Operating systems without any issues.

For example, cluster on site1 runs CentOS on peers, SH cluster and master node, and we would like to deploy site2 cluster with ubuntu on all the cluster members. would that cause any problems with Splunk's functionality?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We had similar question lately 🙂

According to the docs, all cluster members should use the same splunk software version and the same operating system, but in my opinion it means that whole cluster must be linux-based or windows based. As long as you meet the minimal requirements, you're theoreticaly good to go.

But. From the maintenance point of view, I wouldn't mix the distributions, versions, releases and so on. Having inconsostent software across the cluster could result in some hard-to-debug and hard-to-reproduce errors.

If you're brave enough you could go for CentOS in one site and Ubuntu in the other but I'd definitely try some test environment first.

Oh, and while we're at it why not give Rocky Linux a go?

0 Karma

fatemabwesnet

Thanks! That's good to know. Since CentOS is going limited support soon, we were wondering if that is worth moving away from using CentOS and hence were thinking of trying out Ubuntu. 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
If you want to replace the whole cluster’s OS, you should ensure that all libraries, packages etc. a enough close to each other in version point of view. And keep splunk on exactly same level until you have switch OS for all nodes. And try to do this as soon as possible.

Disclaimer: I haven’t try this and I don’t give any guarantee that this will work! You will try it by your own risk!
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

probably you can run it with different OS versions if those are enough close by versions? Maybe even issues, but this will generate to you (a lot of) additional management overhead without real benefits. In curiosity, why you would like to do it? If you will got any issues and ask help from splunk support, I suppose that the first request will be the same OS on all nodes  

Personally I try to keep all nodes in same OS with same package and patch level. It’s match easier to manage with scripts an/or automation.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...