Getting Data In

Can you apply transforms to all events meant for a specific index?

ricotries
Communicator

In my testing environment I have three main indexes that are specific to the data stored within them. I want to change the host value of all events by appending a string at the end of the host at index time (similar to a domain name, as an example) and I know how to do this with the props-transforms configuration, but I can only do it based on sourcetype, host, or source. Is there a way to do the same thing but based on index?

For example,

index1: host -> host.test1, something -> something.test1
index2: tmp -> tmp.test2
index3: hello -> hello.test3

I know how to do this based on the host field, for example:
Props.conf

[host::*]
TRANSFORMS-appendname = append_name

Transforms.conf

[append_name]
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Host
REGEX = (.*)
FORMAT = $1.test
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host

And in this case, every host that forwards logs to my indexer would have their events stored as

host = hostname.test

How do I do the same thing but based on the target index?

0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

transforms.conf

[append_name]
 INGEST_EVAL = host=case(index="index1", host.".test1", index="index2", host.".test2", index="index3", host.".test3", true(), host)
 WRITE_META = true

INGEST_EVAL can be used as eval
How about this?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

transforms.conf

[append_name]
 INGEST_EVAL = host=case(index="index1", host.".test1", index="index2", host.".test2", index="index3", host.".test3", true(), host)
 WRITE_META = true

INGEST_EVAL can be used as eval
How about this?

0 Karma

ricotries
Communicator

I was not aware of that setting. Because it works exactly like eval you can do the following then:

[append_name]
WRITE_META = true

Take note that to concatenate the host value and a string you have to type a period before the string.

host."<string>" = host<string>
host.".<string>" = host.<string>

If you change your answer with the revised working (I tested it) eval declaration, I'll accept it.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

I see, My answer is updated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...