Getting Data In

Can we index data to Splunk which is from custom search command?

loginsoftresear
Explorer

Hello all,
I have an add-on with written a custom search command and I wanted to know in How can I push the results of a custom search command into 'my_index', and how I can associate an index with a sourcetype?

Please, help me.

Thank You.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can try to use the collect command at the end of your search to push the results into an index much like you would do with summary indexing.

From docs:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.0.2001/SearchReference/Collect

What do you mean with "associate an index with a sourcetype"?
You can have multiple sourcetypes per index (e.g a lot of customers index a lot of data sources to index=main) and the same sourcetypes in multiple indexes (e.g some user might split data with the same sourcetpye per index based on data geo location).

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

DalJeanis
Legend

There are several methods. If your records are already being assigned a specific sourcetype, then the standard one would be to key on the sourcetype to set the index. That would look something like this.

in props.conf

[some_sourcetype]
TRANSFORMS-index1 = set_index_1

In transforms.conf

[set_index_1]
 REGEX    = . 
 DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index 
 FORMAT   = some_index
0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can try to use the collect command at the end of your search to push the results into an index much like you would do with summary indexing.

From docs:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.0.2001/SearchReference/Collect

What do you mean with "associate an index with a sourcetype"?
You can have multiple sourcetypes per index (e.g a lot of customers index a lot of data sources to index=main) and the same sourcetypes in multiple indexes (e.g some user might split data with the same sourcetpye per index based on data geo location).

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.

loginsoftresear
Explorer

It is pushing to summary index, can I push it normal index which I already have?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...