Getting Data In

Can we configure Splunk to not look inside archive files?

dl-it-serveradm
Engager

Hello,

By default:
Splunk Enterprise decompresses archive files before it indexes them. It can handle these common archive file types: tar, gz, bz2, tar.gz, tgz, tbz, tbz2, zip, and z.
(http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.6/Data/Monitorfilesanddirectories)

Is it possible to configure Splunk to not do this? Or another way to handle our scenario?

We have a Windows directory input path that we are indexing *.log files. The problem is, there are .zip files in that folder that also contain *.log files, but we want to ignore those.

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

All that you need to do is to specify in the monitor "just" the *.log files.

View solution in original post

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

All that you need to do is to specify in the monitor "just" the *.log files.

dl-it-serveradm
Engager

Masa ; ddrillic,

Thanks for your replies, however, this does not seem to work. Splunk is still looking within the zip file and finding the .log files within it.

It seems as if it is decompressing the archive and finding the .log files within it. I believe it is the decompression that we need to avoid.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

What I normally do is being very explicit to the level of the files and not just the directory. Something like - [monitor://\C:\Logs\location\log\*.log]

Using this variation ensures that only files with extension of .log will be processed.

0 Karma

dl-it-serveradm
Engager

Thank you both for your help.

Using the whitelist does look like it works. We were getting confused by the number of files that appear in the Files and Directory input for that folder. That number seems to represent the number of files found (plus the root folder), not necessarily the ones it has indexed.

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I agree with ddrllic.

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you restarted Splunk?

F.Y.I.

[monitor://\C:\Logs\location\log\*.log]

Splunk will translated this stanza to;

[monitor://\C:\Logs\location\log]
whiltelist = [^\//]+\.log
0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Also, can you send us example of a file path and the configuration you used?

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Assuming your log files exists in C:\Logs\ or sub directories.

- inputs.conf
[monitor://\C:\Logs\....log]

Or, you can make use of white list

- inputs.conf
[monitor://\C:\Logs]
whitelist = \.log$
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...