Getting Data In

Can't get UF to translate cooked to plain old syslog

nisse
Explorer

I'm trying to use splunkforwarder-4.2.2-101277-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm as an aggregator and translator for a bunch of Splunk servers sending cooked format to forward to one (now) or more (eventually) plain old syslog servers. This should be really easy, but I seem to be missing something important.

Basically, I want:

[ Splunk(s) ] --cooked--> [ UF ] --syslog--> [ syslog(s) ]

If I use [tcpout] in outputs.conf I can get it to sort-of work, except the syslog server receives gibberish when I sniff it. When I try to use [syslog] I get nothing actually forwarded and an error in splunkd.log:
ERROR TcpOutputProc - LightWeightForwarder/UniversalForwarder not configured. Please configure outputs.conf.

I've tried every combination I can think of, and per /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/README/outputs.conf.example even various props.conf and transforms.conf even though lots of folks say that the UF won't parse or use those. I've searched the forums and Googled for hours, and still no matter what, I get an error and nothing, or gibberish. The 3 test machines I'm using (regular Splunk sending cooked, UF, and plain old syslog) are all on the same subnet and switch, and can all talk to each other just fine. As noted, it even almost kinda works, except for the "plain old" syslog part. My syslog server is running syslog-ng and it is listening on 514 UDP. But I'm verifying via tcpdump, so I'm not even worried about that part yet. The stuff that gets there is not the same stuff I'm sending from Splunk.

Unless I have [tcpout] in outputs.conf I get the "ERROR TcpOutputProc ..." but I suspect that that's what sending gibberish instead of plain old text.

What silly, basic thing am I missing?

inputs.conf

[default]
host = my_suf

[splunktcp://:9997]

outputs.conf = sends nothing, get "ERROR TcpOutputProc ..." above

[syslog]
defaultGroup = plainoldsyslog

[syslog:plainoldsyslog]
disabled = false
server = 192.168.1.100:514
type = tcp

outputs.conf = sends something, but per tcpdump it's not the plain syslog text I want

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = plainoldsyslog

[tcpout:plainoldsyslog]
disabled = false
server = 192.168.1.100:514
type = tcp
sendCookedData = false
compressed = false
Tags (1)
0 Karma

rturk
Builder

Just to help people who may stumble across this, as of the current version (5.0.4), the Splunk Universal Forwarder is not capable of forwarding data in Syslog format. A Heavy Forwarder must be used to do this.

4.2.2 Docs: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.2.2/Deploy/Forwarddatatothird-partysystemsd#Syslog_dat... (Covering the version in question)

5.0.4 Docs: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.4/Deploy/Forwarddatatothird-partysystemsd#Syslog_dat...

Check the latest docs HERE for any possible changes in this.

0 Karma

nisse
Explorer

The utterly failed to work at all for me, but dumping the UF and using regular Splunk as a forwarder with the same config files almost works... See http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/28438/no-time-or-host-in-forwarded-syslog-messages

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...