Getting Data In

Can splunk running on unix index windows machines?

connorsvilardo
Engager

I recently set up a linux server to collect my firewall log. I then setup splunk to index the log. It seems that I cannot index the windows machine from the splunk instance running on my linux server.

Is it necessary to forward from the linux splunk to the windows splunk?

Tags (2)

Ron_Naken
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

A Splunk indexer on any platform can index Windows logs. Your best bet is to install a Lightweight Forwarder on the Windows host to forward logs to your Linux-based indexer. You might want to install and configure the Windows app on the Windows forwarder, as well as the Linux indexer, to leverage the canned dashboards/reports.

You could also forward the Linux logs to a Windows indexer, or if you have two indexers installed, configure them for distributed search.

Here is a reference to the reverse -- using Windows to collect *NIX data: http://answers.splunk.com/questions/11579/splunk-for-nix

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...