Getting Data In

Can [batch] read a partial file such that the # of events indexed is different from the actual # of events in file?

ActionableData1
Explorer

I am indexing very large files each day, each on the order of 20+GB.  I am using [batch] and move_policy = sinkhole such that the file is read, indexed and intentionally deleted.

However, sometimes the # of events indexed are less than the # of events in the file.

Here is the inputs.conf segment that applies.

[batch:///my_path_to_the_file/*.import]

move_policy = sinkhole

sourcetype = my_sourcetype

index = my_index

crcSalt=<SOURCE>

disabled = false

These large files are being SFTP'd to the Heavy Forwarder / Dropbox and the transfer can take 15+ minutes to complete.

I am wondering whether the [batch] process will take a snapshot of the file and index it sometime after it arrives but before the  transfer has completed. I am presuming that [batch] only looks at the file once.

Essentially, can what I attempt to show in the following image actually occur?

Batch Partial Read.JPG

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps it will help to tell Splunk to wait before it decides it's reached the end of the file.

time_before_close = 60

Put this in inputs.conf 

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you transfer the file to a non-monitored name/location on the HF and then rename/move the file after the transfer completes?

Check the props.conf settings for the file's sourcetype to make sure events are broken correctly.

---
0 Karma

ActionableData1
Explorer

Thank you for the response.

I am confident the events are being broken properly.

For development and integration we used the move/rename methodology and all was well.

However, for Production and full automation we moved away from this. Initially we did not see any issues (possibly unaware), but over time the differences in the number of events was noticed. 

This led to my posting which I am hoping someone can answer regarding whether [batch] presumes that a file is complete and static (unchanging) and therefore only looks at the file once to read & index. If this is true, then it is possible that [batch] could read a partially transferred file, index and delete it ... even though the file transfer has not completed.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps it will help to tell Splunk to wait before it decides it's reached the end of the file.

time_before_close = 60

Put this in inputs.conf 

---

ActionableData1
Explorer

Will definitely investigate this option for inputs.conf

Making  the setting time_before_close = X where X is greater than the transfer time would seem to be a good fix.

Thank you.

0 Karma

ActionableData1
Explorer

Within inputs.conf, set the following parameter to > 15 minutes (in seconds) for my scenario

time_before_close = X where X = 15 min x 60 sec/min = 900

Other non-Splunk options include ...

https://winscp.net/eng/docs/script_locking_files_while_uploading

* If SFTP server supports locking, lock the file until the transfer has completed

* Transfer file with a non - .import file naming extension, then rename the file with extension *.import

- We originally used this renaming method and it worked but was not yet automated

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...