Getting Data In

Can anyone help me configure props.conf and transforms.conf to parse the following timestamp?

obrosch
Path Finder

Hi,

I have a logfile which looks like this:

2018-12-06 02:53:18 * [13396] PASSED: ftp file X20181206025051227_XXXTracking.csv renamed to 20181206025051227_XXXTracking.csv
2018-12-06 02:53:18 * [13396] PASSED: ftp 20181206025051227_XXXTracking.csv -> company@ftp06.XXX-group.eu:out

My props.conf looks this:

[spdh120]
TRANSFORMS = setnull-test,spdh120
TIME_PREFIX = ^
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 30
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d  %H:%M:%S
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TRUNCATE = 0
EXTRACT-MESSAGE = \d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s\*\s\[\d{5}\]\sPASSED:\sftp\s\d{17}(?<FILE>.+)\s->\s(?<RECEIVER>.+)@ftp06.gls-group.eu:out

and my transforms.conf:

[spdh120]
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue
REGEX = @ftp06.gls-group.eu:out

But, I still get this error in my logfile and no data into my indexer:

12-06-2018 03:23:46.252 +0100 WARN  DateParserVerbose - Failed to parse timestamp in first MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD (30) characters of event. Defaulting to timestamp of previous event (Thu Dec  6 03:23:17 2018). Context: source=/e/logs/spdh120_20181206.log|host=udts|spdh120

Can anyone help me and tell me what I configured wrong?

There are two problems: the failure during parsing the timestamp and that I didn't get any data into Splunk from that logfile.

Thx for your help

0 Karma
1 Solution

obrosch
Path Finder

Problem solved. I had a typo:

DEST_Key and not DEST_KEY. After I changed it, it solved my problem.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

obrosch
Path Finder

Problem solved. I had a typo:

DEST_Key and not DEST_KEY. After I changed it, it solved my problem.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps it's just a typo in the question, but the TIME_FORMAT string has two spaces between date and time whereas the sample events have a single space. That's enough of a difference to prevent parsing.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Really interesting @richgalloway - is there a way around hard-coding space(s) in the TIME_FORMAT field?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Regrettably not. TIME_FORMAT is not a regex string so we can't use something like '\s+'. It's literal characters except for the metacharacters used in strptime().

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Thank you @richgalloway.

0 Karma

obrosch
Path Finder

I still have two spaces in my props.conf and it works with them.

0 Karma

obrosch
Path Finder

Hi,
this I have made because we have other entries where this works. I tried it first with only one space between day and hour, but same error.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...