Getting Data In

Can Splunk Enterprise hosted on Windows Ingest Linux Apache TomCat Data?

Jarohnimo
Builder

Is it possible to pull in Data from Apache Tomcat servers into Splunk that's sitting on a windows box?

I believe the answer is yes but wanted confirmation.

thank you

PS: i understand this isn't the typical way you would like to set it up. I also know on linux it would work better.

0 Karma

stuartidelta01
Path Finder

If you plan to use the add-on for Tomcat then as well as log data you have the option of making a JMX connection to pull in various metrics relating to the runtime. Add-ons can save you a lot of time and it's generally worth checking them out if there is one for the technology you are trying to splunk.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2911/

The release notes in the docs state that the Add-On is supported on Windows.

So, as per the comments above - yes, you can ingest Tomcat data into a Windows hosted Splunk server.

0 Karma

Jarohnimo
Builder

Would the Tomcat Apache Server phone home similar to the way the Windows nodes do? I'm having an issue now where I have 7 tomcat servers with the UF installed. I have 1 Windows Server, everything is using it's default value (9997 and 8089). The same Admin password on the Splunk Server (Windows) is the same admin/pw I use when setting up the SPlunk UF on the Tomcat Servers.

For the Life of me, the Tomcat Server isn't phoning home. I've looked into the firewall ports and they seem to be open. I've compare the inputs and outputs.conf files from my windows nodes and their UF .conf files look similar to the Tomcat input/output.conf files so it appears all is setup correctly but TomCat nodes don't show as phoning home on our Splunk Server.

I'm unsure as to how I manage the Linux servers if they don't show as phoning home. Any other ideas as to why they aren't showing up?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To understand this clear, you mean to say "push" the data from Windows Box to splunk and that box is running Apache tomcat ? Then Yes, you can ingest apache tomcat log files from Windows Box to splunk using Splunk Universal Forwarder.

Thanks,
Harshil

Jarohnimo
Builder

Windows Server with SPlunk Enterprise installed, can it ingest Apache tomcat data...? you've answered the question and thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...